Hamilton Island to Southport / 600nm / 25 – 31 Aug 2019
6 Days / CAT 2 offshore passage / 4 crew positions available
Take a stunning 600nm+ ocean passage from Hamilton Island south, down Queensland’s East Coast through the sparkling Whitsunday Islands of the Great Barrier Reef to Southport on the Gold Coast. We’ll overnight at one of the islands or a coastal marina and then assess the weather conditions to decide whether we sail down the eastern or western side of the world’s largest sand island; Fraser Island’, along with Moreton Island and the Stradbroke Islands.
At this time of the year thousands of whales head up and down the Australian East Coast and whale sightings along with dolphins and sea turtles are a common occurrence so bring your camera.
Hamilton Island to Southport passage itenary
You’ll fly into Hamilton Island directly or into Airlie Beach (Proserpine) and catch the ferry to Hamilton Island on 25th August. We’ll have a crew dinner on the night of the 25th at Hamilton Island and complete final preparations for departure the next day. On the 26th we’ll depart Hamilton Island Marina and head South through the Whitsunday Islands. Its a navigators minefield with islands, reefs, whales, commercial ships, pleasure boats and the Australian Navy to watch out. This voyage normally takes 4 days sailing time to complete and we’ll break it up with an overnight stop in a sheltered island bay or at a marina on way south. On the way south we’ll assess the weather conditions and tide times to decide whether we sail down the eastern or western side of the world’s largest sand island; ‘Fraser Island’, along with Moreton Island and the Stradbroke Islands. The inside (western) route has additional navigation challenges including crossing the notorious Wide Bay Bar at the southern tip of Fraser Island.
We would expect to arrive at the Southport Yacht Club on the 30th August and you are welcome to stay onboard Ocean Gem the entire time and should plan to fly out of either Brisbane or Gold Coast Airport on 31st of August.
Your crew package includes:
- all meals onboard
- meals ashore
- accommodation onboard
- your Ocean Gem crew shirt
- marina fees, race entry fees
- the use of a PFD (personal floatation device), PLB (personal locator beacon), and a safety tether
- Your bedding, a pillow and towel is also included along with suncream.
Your crew package excludes:
- accommodation ashore
- flights and transport to and from departure and arrival ports and visas
- clothing and wet weather gear
Its always recommended that you book flights with date flexibility in case of unforeseen changes due to weather or schedules. Accommodation options if you want to stay ashore either side of
2,400 AUD (appr. 1,500 USD)
Offshore passage onboard Ocean Gem
Ocean Gem is a
Yacht Races onboard Ocean Gem
Passages onboard Ocean Gem
- Hamilton Island to Southport: 25 – 31 Aug 2019
- Southport to Middleton Reef, Elizabeth Reef and Lord Howe Island Passage: 17 – 24 Nov 2019
- Lord Howe Island to Sydney Passage: 23 – 28 Nov 2019
- Tasmania Circumnavigation: 27 Jan – 10 Feb 2020
- Hobart to Picton Tasman Sea Passage: 8 – 22 Mar 2020
- Picton New Zealand to Southport Australia Passage: 12 – 26 April 2020
- Noumea to Vuda Point: 28 Jun – 7 July 2020
- Vuda Point to Hamilton Island: 28 Jul – 12 Aug 2020
We hope to see you soon on board Ocean Gem
+31 85 301 56 36