Lord Howe Island to Sydney offshore passage/ 420nm / 23 – 28 Nov 2019
6 DAYS / OFFSHORE PASSAGE / 2 CREW POSITIONS AVAILABLE
The ocean passage from Lord Howe Island to Sydney is a true offshore passage. We depart Lord Howe Island and head 420nm SW to Sydney from a distance 300nm East of the East Coast of Australia, well out into the Tasman Sea. Visiting Lord Howe Island prior to departure provides a unique opportunity to check out the island, meet the locals and take in some of the sights of life on an island less than 7nm in length. Lord Howe Island is surrounded by amazing sea life and steep Jurassic like cliff faces at the southern end. When we depart Lord Howe Island we’ll head 15nm south-east past Ball’s Pyramid, a rock rising 551 metres out of the sea from the ocean floor, before we turn SW for the ocean passage to the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia (CYCA) in Sydney.
Lord Howe Island to Sydney offshore passage itinerary
You can fly directly into Lord Howe Island Airport from Brisbane or Sydney on Saturday 23rd November in time to join us for a crew dinner ashore. On Saturday, there will be time for sightseeing and on morning of Monday 25th November, we will depart Lord Howe Island early and head south-east to Ball’s Pyramid, then directly to Sydney. Depending on wind direction and currents it should be about 3 days to sail to Sydney to the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia (CYCA), host of the Rolex Sydney Hobart Race, where we should arrive by 12th December. At the CYCA, the history of the Rolex Sydney Hobart Race is on display including the hulls of every race winner and all of the perpetual race trophies awarded each year. You should plan to fly out of Sydney at or after 5pm on the 28th of November.
Your crew package includes:
- all meals onboard
- meals ashore
- accommodation onboard
- your Ocean Gem crew shirt
- marina fees, race entry fees
- the use of a PFD (personal floatation device), PLB (personal locator beacon), and a safety tether
- Your bedding, a pillow and towel is also included along with suncream.
Your crew package excludes:
- accommodation ashore
- flights and transport to and from departure and arrival ports and visas
- clothing and wet weather gear
Its always recommended that you book flights with date flexibility in case of unforeseen changes due to weather or schedules. Accommodation options if you want to stay ashore either side of
2,850 AUD (appr. 2,025 USD)
Offshore passage onboard Ocean Gem
Ocean Gem is a 45-foot yacht for the ocean sailing adventure of a lifetime. Whether its a 600nm ocean passage down Australia’s East Coast, a 200 yacht regatta around the Whitsunday Islands, the Rolex Sydney Hobart Race, a Tasman Sea crossing or circumnavigating Tasmania, why not join Ocean Gem as a paying crew member in one of the limited spots available for each adventure. Find out more about offshore sailing onboard Ocean Gem. Check out the crew testimonials to see what others have to say about their adventures onboard Ocean Gem. Come ocean sailing!
Yacht Races onboard Ocean Gem
Passages onboard Ocean Gem
- Hamilton Island to Southport: 25 – 31 Aug 2019
- Southport to Middleton Reef, Elizabeth Reef and Lord Howe Island Passage: 17 – 24 Nov 2019
- Lord Howe Island to Sydney Passage: 23 – 28 Nov 2019
- Tasmania Circumnavigation: 27 Jan – 10 Feb 2020
- Hobart to Picton Tasman Sea Passage: 8 – 22 Mar 2020
- Picton New Zealand to Southport Australia Passage: 12 – 26 April 2020
- Noumea to Vuda Point: 28 Jun – 7 July 2020
- Vuda Point to Hamilton Island: 28 Jul – 12 Aug 2020
We hope to see you soon on board Ocean Gem
+31 85 301 56 36