Noumea, New Caledonia to Vuda Point Fiji / 700nm / 28 Jun – 7 Jul 2020 9 Days / Cat 1 Ocean Passage / 3 Crew Positions Available
The New Caledonia, Noumea to Fiji sailing passage is a tropical, sunny and warm Pacific Ocean sailing voyage that takes us 700nm from Noumea at the completion of the New Caledonia Groupama Race to the Vuda Marina, in Vuda Point Fiji. With stunning bird life and sea life and the deep colours of the Pacific Ocean and great fishing, it promises to be an excellent voyage for those looking for ocean passage experience in a warm and fairly forgiving environment.
Here is what you will experience onboard
- Hoisting, trimming and reefing both upwind (main, genoas, and jibs) and downwind sails (poled out headsails, spinnakers, gennakers and code 0’s (subject to weather).
- Acting as watch captain (day and night), helming, navigating, checking weather and monitoring AIS and radar and for both traffic and rain squalls.
- Downloading and analysing the latest weather forecasts and calculating best route to destination.
- Navigating, hazard identification, entering waypoints and calculating updated ETA’s.
Routine checks of bilges, engine, electrical systems, sails and hardware for preventative maintenance.
- Watch roster planning, matching responsibility to experience, crew management and communication.
- Familiarisation of all safety procedures, sail planning, storm preparation planning and abandon ship procedures.
- Training in the use of PDF’s (Personal Flotation Devices), PLB’s (Personal Locator Beacons), safety tethers, dan buoy’s, storm drogue, liferaft and any other equipment required to ensure you remain safe in all conditions.
- Advice on how to take responsibility for managing clothing, hydration, sleep and nutrition to maintain your health and well being aboard.
- Planning our arrival and route to safe harbour including timing with daylight (if required), weather factors, navigational hazards, communications / customs and sail/motor arrival plan.
- Multi-day, offshore passage making 24/7 on a significant Category 1 offshore passage.
You can fly directly into Nouméa – La Tontouta International Airport on Saturday 27th June or earlier. Our crew will officially assemble on Sunday 28th June where we’ll meet for breakfast and then spend the day running through final checks and preparations. We’ll familiarise you with the yacht, systems and safety equipment and you will join us for a crew dinner ashore. You are welcome to stay onboard from the 27th June onwards and we will aim to depart on 29th June for Fiji. We would expect to arrive in Fiji on the 4th or 5th of July and you can plan to fly out of Nadi Airport from the afternoon of the 6th July onwards.
- all meals onboard, meals ashore, accommodation onboard,
- your Ocean Gem crew shirt,
- marina fees
- the use of a PFD (personal floatation device), PLB (personal locator beacon), and a safety tether
- your bedding, a pillow and towel is also included along with suncream.
- accommodation ashore
- flights and transport to and from departure and arrival ports
- clothing and wet weather gear.
Its always recommended that you book flights with date flexibility
Offshore passage onboard Ocean Gem
Ocean Gem is a 45-foot yacht for the ocean sailing adventure of a lifetime. Whether its a 600nm ocean passage down Australia’s East Coast, a 200 yacht regatta around the Whitsunday Islands, the Rolex Sydney Hobart Race, a Tasman Sea crossing or circumnavigating Tasmania, why not join Ocean Gem as a paying crew member in one of the limited spots available for each adventure. Find out more about offshore sailing onboard Ocean Gem. Check out the crew testimonials to see what others have to say about their adventures onboard Ocean Gem. Come ocean sailing!
Other Passages onboard Ocean Gem
- Hamilton Island to Southport: 25 – 31 Aug 2019
- Southport to Middleton Reef, Elizabeth Reef and Lord Howe Island Passage: 17 – 24 Nov 2019
- Lord Howe Island to Sydney Passage: 23 – 28 Nov 2019
- Tasmania Circumnavigation: 27 Jan – 10 Feb 2020
- Hobart to Picton Tasman Sea Passage: 8 – 22 Mar 2020
- Picton New Zealand to Southport Australia Passage: 12 – 26 April 2020
- Noumea to Vuda Point: 28 Jun – 7 July 2020
- Vuda Point to Hamilton Island: 28 Jul – 12 Aug 2020
We hope to see you soon on board Ocean Gem
+31 85 301 56 36