Southport to Middleton Reef, Elizabeth Reef and Lord Howe Island / 450nm / 17 – 24 Nov 2019
7 days / offshore passage / waitlist only
The ocean passage from Southport to Middleton Reef, Elizabeth Reef and the Lord Howe Island is a true adventurers passage. Ocean Gem departs Southport and
Here is what you will experience onboard
- Hoisting, trimming and reefing both upwind (main, genoas, and jibs) and downwind sails (poled out headsails, spinnakers, gennakers and code 0’s (subject to weather).
- Acting as watch captain (day and night), helming, navigating, checking weather and monitoring AIS and radar and for both traffic and rain squalls.
- Downloading and analysing the latest weather forecasts and calculating best route to destination.
- Navigating, hazard identification, entering waypoints and calculating updated ETA’s.
Routine checks of bilges, engine, electrical systems, sails and hardware for preventative maintenance.
- Watch roster planning, matching responsibility to experience, crew management and communication.
- Familiarisation of all safety procedures, sail planning, storm preparation planning and abandon ship procedures.
- Training in the use of PDF’s (Personal Flotation Devices), PLB’s (Personal Locator Beacons), safety tethers, dan buoy’s, storm drogue, liferaft and any other equipment required to ensure you remain safe in all conditions.
- Advice on how to take responsibility for managing clothing, hydration, sleep and nutrition to maintain your health and well being aboard.
- Planning our arrival and route to safe harbour including timing with daylight (if required), weather factors, navigational hazards, communications / customs and sail/motor arrival plan.
- Multi-day, offshore passage making 24/7 on a significant Category 1 offshore passage.
Offshore passage itinery 2019
You can fly into either Brisbane or Gold Coast Airport on Sunday 17th November in time to join us for a crew dinner ashore. On the morning of Monday 18th November, we will depart Southport early and head ESE to Middleton Reef. Depending on wind direction it should be less than 2 days to Middleton Reef and we will time our arrival for daylight. We’ll sail around the eastern side of the reef before heading south to Elizabeth Reef, before continuing on to Lord Howe Island, where we should arrive by 22 nd November and we will arrange permission to go ashore for an afternoon tour. You should plan to fly out of Lord Howe Island on or after the 24th of November unless of course, you want to join us for the next 400nm leg to the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia in Sydney.
Inclusions and exclusions
Your crew package includes:
- all meals onboard, meals ashore, accommodation onboard,
- your Ocean Gem crew shirt,
- marina fees
- the use of a PFD (personal floatation device), PLB (personal locator beacon), and a safety tether
- your bedding, a pillow and towel is also included along with suncream.
Your crew package excludes:
- accommodation ashore
- flights and transport to and from departure and arrival ports
- clothing and wet weather gear.
Its always recommended that you book flights with date flexibility in case of unforeseen changes due to weather or schedules. Accommodation options if you want to stay ashore either side of
3,300 AUD (appr. 2345 USD)
Offshore passage onboard Ocean Gem
Ocean Gem is a 45-foot yacht for the ocean sailing adventure of a lifetime. Whether its a 600nm ocean passage down Australia’s East Coast, a 200 yacht regatta around the Whitsunday Islands, the Rolex Sydney Hobart Race, a Tasman Sea crossing or circumnavigating Tasmania, why not join Ocean Gem as a paying crew member in one of the limited spots available for each adventure. Find out more about offshore sailing onboard Ocean Gem. Check out the crew testimonials to see what others have to say about their adventures onboard Ocean Gem. Come ocean sailing!
Yacht Races onboard Ocean Gem
- Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race: 25 Dec 2019 – 2 Jan 2020
- Brisbane Hamilton Island Yacht Race: 29 July – 5 Aug 2020
- Hamilton Island Race Week: 15 – 23 Aug 2020
- Sydney to Auckland Race: 26 Jan – 10 Feb 2021
Passages onboard Ocean Gem
- Southport to Middleton Reef, Elizabeth Reef and Lord Howe Island Passage: 17 – 24 Nov 2019
- Lord Howe Island to Sydney Passage: 23 – 28 Nov 2019
- Tasmania Circumnavigation: 27 Jan – 10 Feb 2020
- Hobart to Picton Tasman Sea Passage: 8 – 22 Mar 2020
- Picton New Zealand to Southport Australia Passage: 12 – 26 April 2020
We hope to see you soon on board Ocean Gem
+31 85 301 56 36