Vuda Point, Fiji to Hamilton Island, Australia / 1,630nm / 28 Jul – 12 Aug 2020 / 15 Days / Cat 1 Ocean Passage / 4 Crew Positions Available
The Vuda Point, Fiji to Hamilton Island, Australia passage will be an epic WSW 1,630nm journey across the sunny and warm Pacific Ocean and into the Coral Sea as we navigate our way past one hundred plus islands and reefs, and inside the biggest of them all; ‘the World Heritage – Great Barrier Reef’ off Australia’s Queensland Coast. We will clear into Australia via Australian Customs at the port of Mackay before continuing to our ultimate destination at Hamilton Island.
This passage promises stunning bird life and sea life and the deep colours of the Pacific Ocean and
You can fly directly into Nadi Airpot in Fiji on Monday 27th July or earlier. Our crew will officially assemble on Tuesday 28th July where we’ll meet for breakfast and then spend the day running through final checks and preparations. We’ll familiarise you with the yacht, systems and safety equipment and you will join us for a crew dinner ashore. You are welcome to stay onboard from the 27th July onwards and we will aim to depart on 29th July for Hamilton Island. We would expect to arrive in Hamilton Island on the 10th or 11th of August and you can plan to fly out of Hamilton Island Airport (to Brisbane or Sydney if connecting to international flights) from the afternoon of the 12th August onwards.
Here is what you will experience onboard
- Hoisting, trimming and reefing both upwind (main, genoas, and jibs) and downwind sails (poled out headsails, spinnakers, gennakers and code 0’s (subject to weather).
- Acting as watch captain (day and night), helming, navigating, checking weather and monitoring AIS and radar and for both traffic and rain squalls.
- Downloading and analysing the latest weather forecasts and calculating best route to destination.
- Navigating, hazard identification, entering waypoints and calculating updated ETA’s.
Routine checks of bilges, engine, electrical systems, sails and hardware for preventative maintenance.
- Watch roster planning, matching responsibility to experience, crew management and communication.
- Familiarisation of all safety procedures, sail planning, storm preparation planning and abandon ship procedures.
- Training in the use of PDF’s (Personal Flotation Devices), PLB’s (Personal Locator Beacons), safety tethers, dan buoy’s, storm drogue, liferaft and any other equipment required to ensure you remain safe in all conditions.
- Advice on how to take responsibility for managing clothing, hydration, sleep and nutrition to maintain your health and well being aboard.
- Planning our arrival and route to safe harbour including timing with daylight (if required), weather factors, navigational hazards, communications / customs and sail/motor arrival plan.
- Multi-day, offshore passage making 24/7 on a significant Category 1 offshore passage.
Offshore passage onboard Ocean Gem
Ocean Gem is a 45-foot yacht for the ocean sailing adventure of a lifetime. Whether its a 600nm ocean passage down Australia’s East Coast, a 200 yacht regatta around the Whitsunday Islands, the Rolex Sydney Hobart Race, a Tasman Sea crossing or circumnavigating Tasmania, why not join Ocean Gem as a paying crew member in one of the limited spots available for each adventure. Find out more about offshore sailing onboard Ocean Gem. Check out the crew testimonials to see what others have to say about their adventures onboard Ocean Gem. Come ocean sailing!
Inclusions and exclusions
- all meals onboard, meals ashore, accommodation onboard,
- your Ocean Gem crew shirt,
- marina fees
- the use of a PFD (personal floatation device), PLB (personal locator beacon), and a safety tether
- your bedding, a pillow and towel is also included along with suncream.
- accommodation ashore
- flights and transport to and from departure and arrival ports
- clothing and wet weather gear.
Its always recommended that you book flights with date flexibility incase of unforeseen changes due to weather or schedules. Accommodation options if you want to stay ashore either side of trip: AirBNB, Booking.com, Wotif & HomeAway.
Passages onboard Ocean Gem
- Hamilton Island to Southport: 25 – 31 Aug 2019
- Southport to Middleton Reef, Elizabeth Reef and Lord Howe Island Passage: 17 – 24 Nov 2019
- Lord Howe Island to Sydney Passage: 23 – 28 Nov 2019
- Tasmania Circumnavigation: 27 Jan – 10 Feb 2020
- Hobart to Picton Tasman Sea Passage: 8 – 22 Mar 2020
- Picton New Zealand to Southport Australia Passage: 12 – 26 April 2020
- Noumea to Vuda Point: 28 Jun – 7 July 2020
- Vuda Point to Hamilton Island: 28 Jul – 12 Aug 2020
We hope to see you soon on board Ocean Gem
+31 85 301 56 36