Atlantic Rally for Cruisers
Every November since 1986 the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers has set sail from Las Palmas, bound 2,700 nautical miles westward across the Atlantic to the Caribbean.
The Atlantic Rally for Cruisers has been the benchmark for those wishing to complete a transatlantic voyage. Thousands have successfully made the passage since then and in the process had a fantastic experience developing their sailing skills, racing or cruising down one of the world’s most famous trading routes and no doubt meeting new friends and crewmates along the way.
“This is the Classic Transat Route..once completed all of the world’s oceans become frontiers to be explored & enjoyed”
Crossing the Atlantic is a tipping point for most sailors – once completed all areas of the world’s oceans suddenly become possible frontiers to be explored and enjoyed. As with any event, our intention is to teach as much about ocean voyaging and seamanship as we can- what is exciting about the Transat is that a prolonged period of tuition is available allowing everyone on board to get to grips with all aspects of the boat.
We will be using our Whitbread 60 or later Volvo 60 ‘Challenger ‘ for this event which means that we will have plenty of opportunities to experience the higher speeds and quicker transit time associated with this kind of performance vessel. We ask all crew to bear in mind though that safety and not speed is our primary concern.
What you can expect of the ARC?
- A world-famous international sailing event
- Depart Gran Canaria
- Competing in the racing division
- Roughly 2700 miles to sail
- You are part of the watch system
- Warm trade winds from the North-East
- Spotting whales
- Catching flying fish
- Every boat is welcomed to Rodney Bay Marina with rum punches, fresh fruit, and chilled beer. No matter what time of day or night, the welcome party will be ready for you!
- Enjoy the culture, cuisine, and music in St. Lucia
Package Volvo 60 Challenger ARC November 20 – December 4-9, 2020
This is the classic Atlantic Crossing route – heading down the famous North Easterly Trade winds to the Caribbean
With training and the travel, you arrange- this 2700Nm route will be all done and dusted in just 16 days.
- Food while on the boat
- Accommodation on the boat once training has begun
- 2 days of safety training prior to the event
- Crew shirt to wear onboard & keep
- Your dockage fees
- Damage waiver
Package Volvo 70 Kraken
- Date : 18 Nov — 09 Dec 2020
- Location: Las Palmas, Gran Canaria — Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
- Distance : 2700 NM
- Price: £3995 (Per Berth)
This trip gives you the opportunity to sail this Volvo 70 in the environment she was made for. She is an ocean going mile munching yacht, she may not have all the luxuries of a cruiser, however she will get you there a lot faster!
Crew arrive: 18th November 2020, Las Palmas, Gran Canaria
Safety Brief: 19th November 2020, Las Palmas, Gran Canaria
Training Day: 20th and 21st November 2020, Las Palmas, Gran Canaria
Race Start: 22nd November 2010, Las Palmas, Gran Canaria
Race Finish: mid-December, Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
The boats itinerary starts at 8am on the 18th November, crew are welcome to turn up anytime from the 15th as your bunk will be available, so please feel free to use her as your base.
This packages includes:
- Watch leader
- On board training
- Your bunk
- Team shirt
- Marina and Berthing fees
- Food onboard while racing and training
- Wet weather gear
- Race entry fees
Meals ashore and travel to and from ports is not included.
Kraken is a stripped out racing boat with very few luxuries, so please expect high side hot bunking, freeze dried food – as the galley consists of a sink and 1 camping stove for boiling water and a very exciting gimbled heads!
On Kraken we like to be fully inclusive and give amateur sailors the chance to participate in all aspects of sailing the boat – we can assure you; you will not just be sitting on the rail.
• Safety Equipment (Lifejacket & Tether)• Wet Weather Gear / Foulies• Food & Drink Whilst On-Board
• Pre-Departure Safety Briefing• Man Overboard Training
Activities in Saint Lucia
- Saint Lucia Tourist Board welcome party
- Jazz night
- ARC in the Park – live music
- A cultural weekend of activities
- Marina manager’s cocktail party
- ARC lectures – Caribbean cooking and Caribbean cruising
- Pigeon Island costume party
- Stay on the island for Christmas or go cruising through the Grenadines
Visit Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria is a miniature continent where centuries of rich history meet natural spots of great beauty. One only needs to tour the 21 towns on the island to feel inside another world. A restless island that changes its aspect at the turn of the road.