Every November since 1986 the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers has set sail from Las Palmas, bound 2,700 nautical miles westward across the Atlantic to the Caribbean.
The ARC is a ‘must do’ for many sailors, and attracts over 200 boats and 1200 people every year to sail 2700 NM across the Atlantic from Gran Canaria to Saint Lucia. The 2016 edition for the ARC has had over 300 boats carrying 1500 aspiring ocean sailors to check off their transatlantic “bucket list” item.
The ARC is for everyone; families with children, tough racers, cruising couples, big boats and modest boats. Crossing the Atlantic together, but having their own adventures. More than just a boat race, the ARC is about friendships made ashore in the two weeks of pre-departure activities continued over the radio net at sea. It’s about arriving in Saint Lucia to be met on the dock with a rum punch and a chilled beer, knowing you have achieved something fantastic – crossing an ocean on a sailboat.
Competing in the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers 2017?
What you can expect:
- A world-famous international sailing event
- Depart Gran Canaria
- Competing in the racing division
- More than 200 competitors (in 2015)
- Roughly 2700 miles to sail
- You are part of the watch system
- Warm trade winds from the North-East
- Spotting whales
- Catching flying fish
- Every boat is welcomed to Rodney Bay Marina with rum punches, fresh fruit, and chilled beer. No matter what time of day or night, the welcome party will be ready for you!
- Enjoy the culture, cuisine, and music in St. Lucia
Program Atlantic Rally for Cruisers
- Training: 10th-18th November 2017
- Prepare yourself
- Preparing of the boat
- Sail and race training
- Race start: 19th November 2017
- Expected arrival: shortly after the 3rd December, the majority arrives between the 6th and 11th of December. We can’t predict a good arrival time as it depends on the weather circumstances. It can take between 14 and 21 days.
- Professional race skipper and mate
- International crew
- Six days of training
- Team shirt
- Use of life vest and lifeline
- Lunch during training days
- Food and drinks during the crossing
- Competing in the ARC and all boat costs (no extra boat kitty)
- RYA qualifying crossing from Las Palmas, Gran Canaria to St. Lucia
- Minimum of 2700 miles
Video Team Brunel VO65 during the Atlantic Rally Crossing 2015 with a crew of five professionals and ten amateurs.
Team Brunel finished the ARC 30/11/15 – 20.24 UTC!
The fastest ARC crossing ever, in 8 days and 7 hours!
You can join the ARC and get a similar experience:
the top of the bucket list
greatest experience ever
Sailing? I think its a weird sport
Sample ARC Activities in Saint Lucia
- Saint Lucia Tourist Board welcome party
- Jazz night
- ARC in the Park – live music
- Cultural weekend of activities
- Marina manager’s cocktail party
- ARC lectures – Caribbean cooking and Caribbean cruising
- Pigeon Island costume party
- ARC prize giving ceremony
- Stay on the island for Christmas or go cruising through the Grenadines
Like to have some more information?
Official website World Cruising ARC
+31 85 301 56 36