Transat Québec Saint-Malo
The Transat Québec Saint-Malo Race occurs only every four years-so like the Vendee Globe it has special significance and weight compared to yearly regattas and events, Particularly for the inhabitants for Québec who have a special connection to the history the race recalls. Dates to be confirmed 1-31 July 2020.
A once in a lifetime opportunity to sail down the wake of one of Canada’s founders.
Beginning in 1984 the event retraces the historic voyage of Jacques Cartier the Breton explorer who was the first to document what is now Québec, first Westerner to penetrate the mighty St.Lawrence River and indeed the very first to use the name ‘Canada’ to identify the new frontier he had discovered.
The race, therefore, is filled with strong sentiments of history, personal challenge and of pride- it is a rare thing indeed to be able to sail in the very wake of a founding father.
For this event, we will be using Volvo 60 ‘Challenger’. She will take 14 lucky crew (plus two professionals) on a once in a lifetime experience sailing East across the Atlantic to Cartier’s home port of St.Malo France. We will be competing in the ‘Open’ Division (boats longer dan 45 ft) which will include 6 x 60′ ocean racing monohulls all with charter crew giving us both a fair and balanced fleet in which to compete and a realistic chance of winning serious silverware!
Québec Saint Malo Course
The distance is almost 3,000 nautical miles (5,365 kilometres, 1 n.m. = 1.85 km), of which 376 n.m. are sailed in the St. Lawrence River. Monohulls will pass the 4 race markers in the St. Lawrence, and round Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon before undertaking the Atlantic crossing and making their way into Saint-Malo.
Package Québec Saint Malo 2020
Dates 1-31 July 2020 (dates to be confirmed)
It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to be part of team sailing a Volvo 60 against the legends of the world’s
- The skipper of Challenger gives you the opportunity to sail on a 60ft, 25kt+ capable, pro race boat in some of the world’s most prestigious regattas or on one of a number of ‘bucket list’ ocean crossing voyages.
- You become an active member of our crew- not a passenger. You will assist with helming, sail trimming and all the normal duties of a crew member whilst having the opportunity to learn about weather routing, navigation, race tactics & short-handed sailing techniques from a highly experienced skipper and mate.
- We provide the boat, a highly skilled professional crew, full safety training and total support throughout the voyage. So you have a great time whilst making either a HR objective or personal dream a reality.
- Your skipper and mate are going to be there for your entire experience with us and will help you through every aspect of the adventure. From learning about all the safety equipment present onboard right through to what to wear and what to pack- we can help you navigate the whole process. Find out more
We sail first up the St.Lawrence waterway before turning East & heading out into the Atlantic to complete a full Transatlantic voyage.
Two days safety training before heading out on the voyage will give you the ability to function as a proper member of the crew- not just a passenger
- Food while on the boat
- Accommodation on the boat once training has begun
- 2 days of safety training prior to the event
- Crew shirt to wear onboard & keep
- Your dockage fees
- Damage waiver
In Lévis: For the Prologue award ceremony and the crew reception.
In Québec City:
- Crews present at City Hall
- Official presentation of crews (date and time to be determined)
- Final briefing and weather talk.
In Saint-Malo: At the award ceremony, which will take place within 10 days of the first competitor arriving.
What to expect onboard Volvo 60 Challenger for the Québec Saint Malo Race?
Coming on board an ocean-going sailing vessel for a regatta or ocean-crossing may lie outside your normal day-to-day experience but Spartan Ocean Racing has a team of professionals for who this kind of thing is just another day in the office. Your skipper and mate are going to be there for your entire experience with us and will help you through every aspect of the adventure. From learning about all the safety equipment present onboard right through to what to wear and what to pack- we can help you navigate the whole process. Click here for more information.
Video Transat Québec Saint Malo 2016
Visit Québec in 4 seasons
Regatta’s Volvo 60 Challenger
Would you like to have some more information?
+31 85 301 56 36