Cowes Week 2019 Volvo 60 Challenger
Cowes Week is one of the longest running events in UK sporting history having first taken place in 1826. Cowes Week, is an inclusive, aspirational sailing regatta; the largest of its kind in the world! (10 – 17 August 2019)
Between 800 and 1000 boats in up to forty different handicap, one-design and multihull classes race every day for eight days.
- A complete mixture of classic and ultra-modern designs gives the regatta its uniqueness
- Several classes that raced more than 50 years ago are still racing today; Dragons, Flying Fifteens, Redwings, Sea View Mermaids, Solent Sunbeams, Swallows, Victories and X-one-designs
- New classes are also introduced as they increase in popularity
- Around 8000 competitors now participate, ranging from Olympic and world class yachtsmen to weekend sailors
- The spectacle that the racing provides, together with the vibrant festival atmosphere attracts over 100000 visitors to Cowes during the event.
What type of racing can you expect during Cowes Week?
- The sheltered waters and unusual tidal conditions of the Solent make for some interesting and challenging sailing for competitors
- The majority of classes start and finish on the Royal Yacht Squadron line and sail varied ’round-the-cans’ courses designed to suit the style of boat and prevailing wind and tide conditions on each day
- A number of classes also sail courses from a committee boat start on certain days – a feature which is becoming increasingly popular
- With up to 1000 boats sailing some 30 different courses in one of the busiest commercial stretches of water in the world, the racing Cowes Week is never dull!
Package Volvo 60 Challenger
- The skipper of Challenger gives you the opportunity to sail on a 60ft, 25kt+ capable, pro race boat in some of the world’s most prestigious regattas or on one of a number of ‘bucket list’ ocean crossing voyages.
- You become an active member of our crew- not a passenger. You will assist with helming, sail trimming and all the normal duties of a crew member whilst having the opportunity to learn about weather routing, navigation, race tactics & short-handed sailing techniques from a highly experienced skipper and mate.
- We provide the boat, a highly skilled professional crew, full safety training and total support throughout the voyage. So you have a great time whilst making either a HR objective or personal dream a reality.
- Your skipper and mate are going to be there for your entire experience with us and will help you through every aspect of the adventure. From learning about all the safety equipment present onboard right through to what to wear and what to pack- we can help you navigate the whole process. Find out more
- Thursday 8 August: First training day
- Friday 9 August: Second training day
- Saturday 10 August to Saturday 17 August: One race per day
- Daily prizes will be awarded to the first three boats in all classes
Enjoy yourself beside the sailing
- With the festival atmosphere
- Cowes Yacht Haven is home to the main beer tent and a range of fabulous food outlets with live music on the Gill stage until late each day
- Cowes Parade is a fantastic waterfront venue that has something for everybody. Whilst boasting spectacular views of the Solent and the competing yachts, the Parade is also home to the bustling Spinnaker Bar, where live music can be enjoyed from lunchtime until late
- Shepards is an affiliate Cowes Week venue located 200 metres from the town centre, where competitors and spectators, friends and families can all enjoy the unique welcoming Cowes Week atmosphere. Shepards is renowned as the place to go for après racing drinks, relaxation, and entertainment with live music, great food and a fantastic selection of beers and cocktails. There are a plethora of great food offerings for breakfast, lunch or dinner and exciting retail outlets and activities for all the family to enjoy all day every day.
- Walk the town. Cowes boasts a host of clothing and lifestyle shops, as well as many art galleries and other delights. You can enjoy a coffee or long lunch at one of the many pubs or restaurants
- The Red Arrows display team who are back in Cowes on Friday evening
- When finished sailing check out the visit isle of wight website to see just how much the island has to offer.
Promo Cowes Week – Why you need to be there!
Dates of future Cowes Weeks
Cowes Week is traditionally held during the week beginning on the first Saturday after the last Tuesday in July (except where the tides make the traditional dates virtually unworkable.
- 2020: 8th to 15th August
- 2021: 1st July to 7th August
Book your cowes week berth here
+ 31 85 301 56 36