Brisbane to Hamilton Island Race / 600nm / 29 July – 5 Aug 2020
7 DAYS / CAT 2 OCEAN RACE / 3 CREW POSITIONS AVAILABLE
After winning Division 2 on both PHS and IRC in the inaugural race in 2019, we are back for the 2nd edition of the Brisbane to Hamilton Island Yacht Race hosted by the Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron (RQYS) and Hamilton Island Yacht Club. The 530 nautical mile race will start on Friday 31st July 2020 at 1100 just east of Green Island on Brisbane’s beautiful Moreton Bay. The yachts will head north along the shorelines of the world-famous Fraser Island before weaving their way through the islands, reefs and big ocean currents inside the world-famous Great Barrier Reef, bound for Hamilton Island Marina. You will join a racing crew of 8 people for this epic ocean race north, along the eastern shores of Fraser Island and through the Whitsunday Islands before crossing the finish line at Hamilton Island. With a fleet of more than 30 yachts expected, this promises to be an exciting 2nd edition of this new Australian ocean race.
Brisbane to Hamilton Island Ocean Gem itinerary
Join us aboard Ocean Gem at Southport on Queensland’s Gold Coast for the 50nm delivery trip north on the 1st of August to RQYS in preparation for race start the following day. We will stay aboard on 30th July, attend the pre-race briefing and complete final preparations for the race start the following day. On the 31st July the gun will fire at 1100 hours and we’ll be off with a fleet of 30+ yachts on the race out of Moreton Bay, north past Cape Moreton, the Sunshine Coast and up the eastern side of the worlds largest sand island; Fraser Island. We’ll then weave our way through the islands of the Whitsundays in search for the optimum combination of course, currents and wind to Hamilton Island Marina, where we will berth and celebrate at the prize-giving presentation ashore.
The race will take 3-5 days depending on wind direction and strength and we would expect to complete it on the 3rd to 5th of August. You are welcome to stay onboard Ocean Gem the entire time and should plan to fly out of Hamilton Island Airport on or after 6th August.
- all meals onboard, meals ashore, accommodation onboard,
- your Ocean Gem crew shirt,
- marina fees
- the use of a PFD (personal floatation device), PLB (personal locator beacon), and a safety tether
- your bedding, a pillow and towel is also included along with suncream.
- accommodation ashore
- flights and transport to and from departure and arrival ports
- clothing and wet weather gear.
Its always recommended that you book flights with date flexibility in case of unforeseen changes due to weather or schedules. Accommodation options if you want to stay ashore either side of the trip: AirBNB, Booking.com, Wotif & HomeAway.
Brisbane to Hamilton Island Race onboard Ocean Gem
Ocean Gem is a 45-foot yacht for the ocean sailing adventure of a lifetime. Whether its a 600 Nm ocean passage down Australia’s East Coast, a 200 yacht regatta around the Whitsunday Islands, the Rolex Sydney Hobart Race, a Tasman Sea crossing or circumnavigating Tasmania, why not join Ocean Gem as a paying crew member in one of the limited spots available for each adventure. Find out more about offshore sailing onboard Ocean Gem. Check out the crew testimonials to see what others have to say about their adventures onboard Ocean Gem. Come ocean sailing!
Yacht Races onboard Ocean Gem
- Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race: 25 Dec 2019 – 2 Jan 2020
- Brisbane Hamilton Island Yacht Race: 29 July – 5 Aug 2020
- Hamilton Island Race Week: 15 – 23 Aug 2020
- Sydney to Auckland Race: 26 Jan – 10 Feb 2021
Passages onboard Ocean Gem
- Southport to Middleton Reef, Elizabeth Reef and Lord Howe Island Passage: 17 – 24 Nov 2019
- Lord Howe Island to Sydney Passage: 23 – 28 Nov 2019
- Tasmania Circumnavigation: 27 Jan – 10 Feb 2020
- Hobart to Picton Tasman Sea Passage: 8 – 22 Mar 2020
- Picton New Zealand to Southport Australia Passage: 12 – 26 April 2020
We hope to see you soon on board Ocean Gem
+31 85 301 56 36