Brisbane to Hamilton Island Race / 600nm / Aug 2020
7 DAYS / CAT 2 OCEAN RACE / 2 CREW POSITIONS AVAILABLE
This is the second edition of the Brisbane to Hamilton Island Yacht Race for the Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron (RQYS). The 600 nautical mile race will start just east of Green Island on Brisbane’s beautiful Moreton Bay. The yachts will head north along the shorelines of the world-famous Fraser Island before weaving their way through the islands, reefs and big ocean currents inside the world-famous Great Barrier Reef, bound for Hamilton Island Marina. You will join a racing crew of 8 people for this epic ocean race north, along the eastern shores of Fraser Island and through the Whitsunday Islands before crossing the finish line at Hamilton Island. With a fleet of more than 50 yachts expected, this promises to be
Brisbane to Hamilton Island Ocean Gem itenery
Join us aboard Ocean Gem at Southport on Queensland’s Gold Coast for the 50nm delivery trip north in preparation for race start the following day. We will stay aboard, attend the pre-race briefing and complete final preparations for the race start the following day. The gun will fire at 11.00 hours and we’ll be off with a fleet of 50+ yachts on the race out of Moreton Bay, north past Cape Moreton, the Sunshine Coast and up the eastern side of the worlds largest sand island; Fraser Island. We’ll then weave our way through the islands of the Whitsundays in search for the optimum combination
The race will take 4-5 days depending on wind direction and strength and we would expect to complete it on the 6th or 7th of August. You are welcome to stay onboard Ocean Gem the entire time and should plan to fly out of Hamilton Island Airport two days after the ETA.
- all meals onboard, meals ashore, accommodation onboard,
- your Ocean Gem crew shirt,
- marina fees
- the use of a PFD (personal floatation device), PLB (personal locator beacon), and a safety tether
- your bedding, a pillow and towel is also included along with suncream.
- accommodation ashore
- flights and transport to and from departure and arrival ports
- clothing and wet weather gear.
Its always recommended that you book flights with date flexibility in case of unforeseen changes due to weather or schedules. Accommodation options if you want to stay ashore either side of the trip: AirBNB, Booking.com, Wotif & HomeAway.
Brisbane to Hamilton Island Race onboard Ocean Gem
Ocean Gem is a 45 foot yacht for the ocean sailing adventure of a lifetime. Whether its a 600nm ocean passage down Australia’s East Coast, a 200 yacht regatta around the Whitsunday Islands, the Rolex Sydney Hobart Race, a Tasman Sea crossing or circumnavigating Tasmania, why not join Ocean Gem as a paying crew member in one of the limited spots available for each adventure. Find out more about offshore sailing onboard Ocean Gem. Check out the crew testimonials to see what others have to say about their adventures onboard Ocean Gem. Come ocean sailing!
Yacht Races onboard Ocean Gem
- Hamilton Island Race Week: 16 – 25 Aug 2019
- Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race: 25 Dec 2019 – 2 Jan 2020
- Brisbane Noumea Race: 27 May – 6 Jun 2020
- New Caledonia Groupama Race: 19 – 28 Jun 2020
- Brisbane Hamilton Island Yacht Race: Beginning of A
- Sydney to Auckland Race: 26 Jan – 10 Feb 2021
Passages onboard Ocean Gem
- Hamilton Island to Southport: 25 – 31 Aug 2019
- Southport to Middleton Reef, Elizabeth Reef and Lord Howe Island Passage: 17 – 24 Nov 2019
- Lord Howe Island to Sydney Passage: 23 – 28 Nov 2019
- Tasmania Circumnavigation: 27 Jan – 10 Feb 2020
- Hobart to Picton Tasman Sea Passage: 8 – 22 Mar 2020
- Picton New Zealand to Southport Australia Passage: 12 – 26 April 2020
- Noumea to Vuda Point: 28 Jun – 7 July 2020
- Vuda Point to Hamilton Island: 28 Jul – 12 Aug 2020
We hope to see you soon on board Ocean Gem
+31 85 301 56 36