Hamilton Island Race Week / 15 Aug – 23 Aug 2020
9 DAYS / RACE REGATTA / 2 CREW POSITIONS AVAILABLE
Hamilton Island Race Week is the ultimate combination of spectacular island racing and evening fun ashore. Set on Hamilton Island in the Whitsunday Islands, the race week spans 6 races around the island over 7 days, with a fun-filled lay-day in the middle. With more than 200 yachts racing in sparkling blue waters, filled with whales, turtles and dolphins, it’s is my favourite annual regatta. You will join our highly experienced racing crew for a week of exhilarating racing, great team spirit and exceptional social events. From trailer yachts to 100 foot super maxis, Hamilton Island Race Week is Australia’s premier yachting regatta. Join the Ocean Gem crew to compete in a division of 20-25 highly competitive production yachts that are 45-55 foot in length.
Hamilton Island Race Week Ocean Gem itinerary 2020
You’ll fly into Hamilton Island directly or into Airlie Beach (Proserpine) and catch the ferry to Hamilton Island on 15th August. We’ll be completing final regatta preparations during this time, allocating crew roles and checking weather forecasts as the excitement and buzz in the race village builds. With 200+ boats and 6,000 regatta crew and family members arriving for race week its an amazing festival of sailing and activity ashore.
Race one kicks off on Sunday 16th August with the next two races on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday is a day off and we’ll head to the beach or an island for a day of social activities. Races four to six take place across Thursday, Friday and Saturday and your week comes to an end with the Hamilton Island Race Week prize-giving gala dinner on Saturday night. Results are announced ashore daily at 5 pm followed by a trip to the bar for a debrief of the days result before heading to dinner. We squeeze in the All Blacks vs. Wallabies rugby test matches on the big screen on both Saturday evenings and every night we’ll go ashore as a team (dressed in our official crew shirts) and hit the town.
You’ll fly out of Hamilton Island directly or out of Airlie Beach (Proserpine) on the 23rd August and head home with a hole in your heart, swearing you’ll be back next year to do it all over again.
- all meals onboard, meals ashore, accommodation onboard,
- your Ocean Gem crew shirt,
- marina fees
- the use of a PFD (personal floatation device), PLB (personal locator beacon), and a safety tether
- your bedding, a pillow and towel is also included along with suncream.
- accommodation ashore
- flights and transport to and from departure and arrival ports
- clothing and wet weather gear.
Its always recommended that you book flights with date flexibility in case of unforeseen changes due to weather or schedules. Accommodation options if you want to stay ashore either side of the trip: AirBNB, Booking.com, Wotif & HomeAway.
Hamilton Island Race Week onboard Ocean Gem
Ocean Gem is a 45-foot yacht for the ocean sailing adventure of a lifetime. Whether its a 600nm ocean passage down Australia’s East Coast, a 200 yacht regatta around the Whitsunday Islands, the Rolex Sydney Hobart Race, a Tasman Sea crossing or circumnavigating Tasmania, why not join Ocean Gem as a paying crew member in one of the limited spots available for each adventure. Find out more about offshore sailing onboard Ocean Gem. Check out the crew testimonials to see what others have to say about their adventures onboard Ocean Gem. Come ocean sailing!
Yacht Races onboard Ocean Gem
- Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race: 25 Dec 2019 – 2 Jan 2020
- Brisbane Hamilton Island Yacht Race: 29 July – 5 Aug 2020
- Hamilton Island Race Week: 15 – 23 Aug 2020
- Sydney to Auckland Race: 26 Jan – 10 Feb 2021
Passages onboard Ocean Gem
- Southport to Middleton Reef, Elizabeth Reef and Lord Howe Island Passage: 17 – 24 Nov 2019
- Lord Howe Island to Sydney Passage: 23 – 28 Nov 2019
- Tasmania Circumnavigation: 27 Jan – 10 Feb 2020
- Hobart to Picton Tasman Sea Passage: 8 – 22 Mar 2020
- Picton New Zealand to Southport Australia Passage: 12 – 26 April 2020
We hope to see you soon on board Ocean Gem
+31 85 301 56 36