Hamilton Island Race Week / 16 Aug – 25 Aug 2019
10 DAYS / RACE REGATTA / 1 CREW POSITION AVAILABLE
Hamilton Island Race Week is the ultimate combination of spectacular island racing and evening fun ashore. Set on Hamilton Island in the Whitsunday Islands, the race week spans 6 races around the island over 7 days, with a fun filled lay-day in the middle. With more than 200 yachts racing in sparking blue waters, filled with whales, turtles and dolphins, its is my favourite annual regatta. Join our racing crew of 10 for a week of exhilarating racing, great team spirit and exceptional social events. From trailer yachts to 100 foot super maxis, Hamilton Island Race Week is Australia’s premier yachting regatta. Join the Ocean Gem crew to compete in a division of 20-25 highly competitive production yachts that are 45-55 foot in length.
Hamilton Island Race Week Ocean Gem itinery 2019
You’ll fly into Hamilton Island directly or into Airlie Beach (Proserpine) and catch the ferry to Hamilton Island on 16th or 17th August. We’ll be completing final regatta preparations during this time, allocating crew roles and checking weather forecasts as the excitement and buzz in the race village builds. With 200+ boats and 6,000 regatta crew and family members arriving for race week its an amazing festival of sailing and activity ashore.
Race one kicks off on Sunday 18th August with the next two races on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday is a day off and we’ll head to the beach or an island for a day of social activities. Races four to six take place across Thursday, Friday and Saturday and your week comes to an end with the Hamilton Island Race Week prize giving dinner on the Saturday night. Results are announced ashore daily at 5pm followed by a trip to the bar for a debrief of the days result before heading to dinner. We squeeze in the All Blacks vs. Wallabies rugby test matches on the big screen on both Saturday evenings and every night we’ll go ashore as a team (dressed in our offical crew shirts) and hit the town.
You’ll fly out of Hamilton Island directly or out of Airlie Beach (Proserpine) on the 25th August and head home with a hole in your heart, swearing you’ll be back next year to do it all over again.
Your crew package includes:
- all meals onboard
- meals ashore
- accommodation onboard
- your Ocean Gem crew shirt
- marina fees, race entry fees
- the use of a PFD (personal floatation device), PLB (personal locator beacon), and a safety tether
- Your bedding, a pillow and towel is also included along with suncream.
Your crew package excludes:
- accommodation ashore
- flights and transport to and from departure and arrival ports and visas
- clothing and wet weather gear
Its always recommended that you book flights with date flexibility in case of unforeseen changes due to weather or schedules. Accommodation options if you want to stay ashore either side of the trip: AirBNB, Booking.com, Wotif & HomeAway.
Hamilton Island Race Week onboard Ocean Gem
Ocean Gem is a 45 foot yacht for the ocean sailing adventure of a lifetime. Whether its a 600nm ocean passage down Australia’s East Coast, a 200 yacht regatta around the Whitsunday Islands, the Rolex Sydney Hobart Race, a Tasman Sea crossing or circumnavigating Tasmania, why not join Ocean Gem as a paying crew member in one of the limited spots available for each adventure. Find out more about offshore sailing onboard Ocean Gem. Check out the crew testimonials to see what others have to say about their adventures onboard Ocean Gem. Come ocean sailing!
Yacht Races onboard Ocean Gem
- Brisbane to Hamilton Island Race: 1 – 8 Aug 2019
- Hamilton Island Race Week: 16 – 25 Aug 2019
- Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race: 25 Dec 2019 – 2 Jan 2020
- Brisbane Noumea Race: 27 May – 6 Jun 2020
- New Caledonia Groupama Race: 19 – 28 Jun 2020
- Sydney to Auckland Race: 26 Jan – 10 Feb 2021
Passages onboard Ocean Gem
- Hamilton Island to Southport: 25 – 31 Aug 2019
- Southport to Middleton Reef, Elizabeth Reef and Lord Howe Island Passage: 17 – 24 Nov 2019
- Lord Howe Island to Sydney Passage: 23 – 28 Nov 2019
- Tasmania Circumnavigation: 27 Jan – 10 Feb 2020
- Hobart to Picton Tasman Sea Passage: 8 – 22 Mar 2020
- Picton New Zealand to Southport Australia Passage: 12 – 26 April 2020
- Noumea to Vuda Point: 28 Jun – 7 July 2020
- Vuda Point to Hamilton Island: 28 Jul – 12 Aug 2020
We hope to see you soon on board Ocean Gem
+31 85 301 56 36